Yes, we are inside.
Yes, my students are wearing coats.
Why, you may ask? Well, today, my thermostat started to drop drastically. It started off at a comfortable 23 C. That's what it's set at. For all y'all who don't know Celcius, that's about 73.4 F.
Within a half hour, I watched the temperature drop down to 17.5 C. That's 63.5 F, people. That's when I sent my teaching assistant to find out what in sam hill was going on. She was told they were changing the filter in the furnace.
I watched it drop down to 16.0 C. That's 60.8 F. The F stands for FREEZING. That's when my kids' lips started turning blue and one of them asked me if it was going to snow in the classroom. We all put on our coats and tried to "toughen it out." I'm a very motivational speaker sometimes.
The fix-it man (if you can really call him that) stopped by at the end of the day to say it probably won't be fixed tomorrow. I told him (he speaks Russian) that it dang well better be because I have twenty students whose tails will freeze off if it's not fixed. He just looked at me with that Lady, I have no idea what you're saying and I don't care look.
And here's a glimpse into ex-Soviet living.
This is called: Here's a fancy-schmancy electronic thermostat so you can see how hot or cold your classroom is, but we don't trust you, even enough to control the temperature in your own classroom, so we're going to put a plastic case over the thermostat and a LOCK so that this one maintenance guy in the building can decide if your classroom's temperature is conducive to learning or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment