Tuesday, March 17, 2009

the big K life...

What do you like about the big K people? and/or lifestyle of the K's? - Angie

Hmmmm, well, I have come to appreciate a good mullet.

Oh, I'm kidding. But seriously, the big K loves the mullets! There's this really nice girl at our church who has the most major mullet I've ever seen....down to her lower back, shaved underneath, kool-aid red streaks. It's amazing.

Okay, back to the question, with a more serious answer! This is actually a very tough question for me. Probably one of the greatest things I have struggled with during the last 9 months has been the people here. They are extremely frustrating because they do things so differently (in a way that does not logically make sense) but they keep doing it because someone told them to do it that way (Soviet mindset) and they are really stubborn.

Think outside the box? Why?

We experience this constantly at the school because much of the administrative staff are locals and their inefficiency effects the rest of the staff greatly. When we suggest that they change the way they are doing something, they refuse. But we have found that if we keep at it, they finally realize (several months down the road) that the way you are suggesting is much easier and more efficient and they act like it was their idea all along! You have to swallow your pride constantly around here. This is so difficult, coming from a Western background, where speed and efficiency are so important to life function. So, to sum up: everything is a battle.

Obviously, this attitude is not just in the workplace, but spills over to every part of your lifestyle. We are actually floored when we eat at a restaurant and our salad comes out before our main course and when we can actually eat our meals at the same time. What is typical is they bring out whatever is ready, whenever it is ready, regardless of what it is. Many times, I have had soup or salad for dessert. Also, rarely is the food hot. One of the most noticeable inefficiencies we noticed within the first week of being here is that each restaurant has a cashier. This is the only person in the place who has access to a cash register (due to the lack of trust). They are usually locked in a tiny room in the back, so when you ask for the check ("shutt"), it takes about 10 minutes to actually see the check. Then, once you put your money inside, they take it away and it could be a good 20 minutes before you get your change. So, we are usually sitting at the table with no food or drinks left, just waiting. It's even worse if you want to pay with your credit card, so we made the switch to all cash a long time ago. If you want to pay with your credit card, they take your passport with the check, which is a nerve-wracking experience.

You learn to accept things and laugh about it. And learn that leaving a restaurant when you're finished is not a quick and simple task.

Without trying to be rude, or whatever, I'd have to say that the reason I'll never live in an ex-Soviet country again is because I don't have the patience for the above reasons for the lifestyle here. I have learned to accept everything, but I don't like it. It has been one of the most difficult times in my life, mostly because I can't understand the stupidity.

I could go on and on about more examples of the odd lifestyle here, but I won't.

Unless you want me to. I don't want to gripe and complain, but most of the stuff is so funny! But at the same time, it's funny because it's so unbelievable, so then I sound negative.

Obviously, experiencing the life here is something I will never forget. It makes me appreciate life in the US so much more. It puts the little trials in the US to shame.

1 comment:

Angela said...

thanks beth for answering me!
Do you ever visit my blog anymore? I wasn't sure since I haven't read a 'two cents' from you a long time. My blog misses you. hee hee.