My question is: What is your favorite thing about the Big K.? make a list. Your probably going to say grandma you are nuts. Oh well. from the picture the mountains are beautiful, and some food (adventure). Love you!!! - Gramma
That's my Gramma G. She has a blog that shows how talented of a painter she is. Quite the artist! She is so creative and is always making things....paintings, quilts (for ALL of her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren - that's 30 quilts, people), cooking, sewing, painting pottery (she painted me a set of pasta bowls that I just LOVE), and knitting. I'm sure there are plenty of other things she is creative with, but you get the idea.
Anyway, to Gramma's question...
Gramma, it is hard to say what is my favorite thing about the big K right now. I suppose one day, my favorite things about here will be some things I despised while I was here! I have to say that right now, my favorite thing has to be the people we have met and come to know during our time here. We know mostly ex-pats, but we have come to know a few locals. At first, the local people here come across as extremely rude. Most of the time, I still think they are rude. They don't smile, they push you out of their way, they are very impatient, and they tend to yell at you in Russian to show their disapproval. Then, when you tell them you don't speak Russian and you don't understand, they continue to yell at you in Russian, expecting you to respond. It's very humbling.
But, once you get to know someone and they realize you are trying to learn Russian and you are trying to live in their culture, they are very warm and hospitable and understanding. It just seems to take a long time to win that chance.
I would not say I love the food here, as it is very meat & potatoey, cabbage-ey, horsey-type food. It's not really my cup of tea. This is not what one would call a culinary capital. It's stick-to-your-ribs, survival food that reminds you that these people have lived through some very difficult times and ate what they had to eat. They continue to eat it because it is all they know. Since the cities are becoming more and more westernized, they are being exposed to the strange foods from far away lands, like Italian. And from what I understand, they love them some pizza.
Good question, Gramma!
Tomorrow, I will answer the next question, which I believe was from my Daddy.
Have a good Monday!
1 comment:
I'm sure it does take time get to know the people, when there is lanuage barrier. Its hard for both.
both probably have the same feelings with the other. maybe?
But the people have some of the same feelings, right? if we can understand. not easy.
Post a Comment